The reason you have landed onto this post may be, you are probably having a forethought of quitting your job soon. If true, you need to definitely go through all the 5 points in the post. In case not true, I would still insist you to read the post, as it would set some really important core values within you. If you follow this guide, then you will never ever feel guilty after quitting your job.
When someone leaves without informing, it is called absconding.Anonymous
There can be multiple attractions which may lead you to think of absconding from the job. Few examples below:
- A super heated argument with the boss or manager
- Another employer might be asking you to join immediately
- A cool startup idea to get you million dollars
- You screw up something at work and shy away or scared of facing the consequences
- Or any other shitty reason!
While absconding may satisfy your immediate goals or fantasies but incurs a great repercussions on the professional career. Additionally it’s probably the most absurd way of quitting the job.
Damage to the Employer :
Absconding immediately hampers your co-workers, manager and the employer. Resource planning shatters, deadlines get affected which in-turn may lead to financial and reputational damages.
Damage to Yourself :
Absconding instantly devastates your professional image and reputation. You may have to face a legal battle. The world is small and you will definitely come across the x-coworkers in future; How would you face them? Also, you would lower your self-esteem when you introspect upon your activity.
2. Stealing or damaging company assets
One can steal ideas but no one can steal execution or passionAnonymous
Vindictive and revengeful attitude often lead us to do something which is unethical, Stealing and vandalising are few of them. Some examples below
- Stealing a product idea
- Misusing companies proprietary information and resources
- Vandalising hardware assets like laptops and machinery
- Leaking business secrets
- Purposely hampering company’s reputation, etc
Never do such things, to any employer (However bad he treats you). You should be thankful enough to him/her for offering an opportunity to you when you were unemployed. Company may have invested millions of dollars, human hours to develop the business and reputation which may collapse by one stupid move of yours. Imagine, you build a big company with your hard earned money and your employee just takes away everything. Isn’t it cruel?
Additionally, If you are caught while doing such illegitimate activity, it will have a serious impact on your relieving certificate and may even lead to legal battles.
3. Keeping no option ready before your last day at work
Preparedness is the key to success and victoryAnonymous
If you are an only earning member of the family and have an insufficient financial backup but still quitting the job, then beware. You are taking huge risk.
An earning member of the family must avoid taking spontaneous decisions since many lives depend upon him / her. Exit move should be planned thoroughly so that your monthly income would not be at stake. Use the below checklist to check your exit eligibility. All ticks implies that, you are well set to exit the job.
- Do I have a strong financial backup? or an offer letter from a reputed work place?
- Would leaving the current job violate any bonds or agreements?
- Would leaving the current job impose any legal penalties on me?
- Is my next employer holds a stable or growing position in market? Is the company well funded?
4. Uncertain mind
Decide what kind of life you want then say no to everything that isn’t that.Anonymous
Leaving your job with uncertain mind may cause you anxiety. There may be various trade-offs / factors which may bring you uncertainty. Few examples below.
- You are not prepared for planned interviews
- No appointment letter from another employer in hand or fear of immediate unemployment
- Fear of loosing a good mentor or a co-worker turned friend
- Thoughts about loosing a promotion / hike / equity
- Thoughts about difficulty in coming out of comfort zone and re-adjusting in new work culture
- You are not prepared for planned interviews
- A pandemic caused recession may not give you the desired job etc
5. Spreading negativity during notice period
If you cannot be positive then at least be quietJoel Osteen
The resignation should be strictly kept confidential unless the knowledge transfer sessions begin.
You should never discuss about the current problems about the employer with your colleagues(however badly you are affected). Furthermore, avoid discussing your future plans with your co-workers as well in order to keep their morales undisturbed. Never encourage your co-workers directly or indirectly to leave the job. In case someone gets to know about your exit, do not disclose the negative reasons. Following these principles exhibit your professionalism.